Saturday, December 27, 2008

Reflection

As another year comes to a close, I reflect back on the things that I'm so thankful for. Admittedly, it's an endless list, but I'm listing some of them here. I am truly blessed! Thank you to my God, family and friends. 2008 was a good year with love, experiences, changes, growth and struggles. I look forward to 2009; a year I want to learn to be still and listen.


I am thankful for...


My God & Savior: For the unconditional love and forgiveness. A perfect love. I thank him for his grace. I continue to sin and fail, but he helps me up to try again -- day after day. And, for the many, many blessings in my life. I love you Father.


Daddy: I love this man SO MUCH! He's my constant... through everything. I am very blessed to be married to my soul mate and get to grow old with him. Hard to believe we've been together for 18 years, married 11 of them. I could list so much that is wonderful about him that I'm thankful for, but looking back at the past year or so, I thank him for his patience & love for me. I've had to find my way through changes and struggles; he gets to feel the doubt, confusion, anger, sadness etc. -- directly and indirectly.


Sissy: my little princess. My heart hurts I love her so much. It has been so exciting to see her graduate from Kindergarten and go into 1st grade; it's incredible to see her start reading on her own, create things on her own, start putting more things together, including questions about God, start dance class etc. She's beautiful inside and out. And, through trying to help her through challenging times with her strong will and mood swings, she has helped me also (apple doesn't fall far from the tree). We struggle, learn and love together.


JT: my little buddy. As with Sissy, my heart hurts I love JT so much. This year has been a year of rapid change for JT. Besides growing in size, his ability to do things on his own and vocabulary have taken off. He even started pre-school 2 days a week. JT is still our comic relief; he's just so stink'in cute and funny. He's hit the terrible twos and likes to pout or get mad if he doesn't get his way, but a lot of time that's even amusing.


Stay-at-home Mom: I'm so thankful for the opportunity to stay at home with my kids. I didn't think I would ever have this, and now that I do (& have adjusted to it), it's hard to imagine it any other way. I LOVE that I get to be home with JT for 1-on-1 time, and pick Sissy up from school, and that she gets to come directly home after school, and that I get to help her with her homework, and that I can be involved with her school and our church. I appreciate God leading me down this path of change/growth, and for Daddy going to work, week in and week out, to support us.


Health: As I have seen friends or their children deal with illness, I am thankful for our health. We are all basically healthy, although I hope Daddy's arthritis improves.

Friends: I have some wonderful friends, new and old, that make such a difference in my life. I'm so thankful for my close buddies that know me so well and love me anyway. I love you gals and couldn't imagine life without you. And, I feel so blessed to be part of the "Tuesday Sisters", my ladies bible study group. They are all very special, I have learned from each of them, and it is warms my heart knowing I have their prayers and support.


What I learned over the past few years and still have to remind myself:
  • it's not how much you make, but what you do with it

  • it's not what you have, but what you give

  • it's not what you look like, but who you are

  • it is more important to be about God versus having knowledge about God

  • it's not what you do, but how you do it

  • tithing is not only an act of obedience, but one of faith

  • there's no better way to spend your money than on others

  • serve out of desire, not obligation

  • love is not only a feeling, but an action

  • God's timing is perfect

  • sometimes bad things that happen are really good things

  • difficult times are motivation to pull close to God

  • loved ones want your time, not stuff

  • you're not complete without the holy spirit

  • it's not how many times you stumble or fall, but that you get back up each time

  • true friendship is give & take

  • true relationships are about love & trust

  • growth requires change, which requires risk

  • stop & smell the roses

  • it's okay to say no

  • life needs to be in balance and you're only responsible for balancing your own

2 comments:

3BoyMom said...

Good reflections, fresh start. I'm so glad I have you to laugh with, cry with, and hold me accountable. Here's to a calmer, more peaceful 2009!

P.S. I like the new look on your blog!

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.